Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Wonderland by Robert McKay WITH Review


Wonderland by Robert McKay 
(Intergalactic Fairy Tales, #1) 
Publication date: August 20th 2015 
Genres: Retelling, Science Fiction, Young Adult

Description:

Teenage Alice didn’t mean to end up on Wonderland, but the living spaceship she commandeered had other plans, and he was very late.

Abandoned on an unfamiliar planet, Alice’s first day as a space pirate has fallen into madness. Caterpillars? Mad hatters? A Jabberwock? A queen known for chopping off heads? Alice must face all Wonderland can throw at her if she’s to take back possession of The White Rabbit and leave Wonderland in one piece.

Wonderland is an Alice in Wonderland fairy tale retelling full of action, adventure, and unlikely heroes. While the Intergalactic Fairy Tales take place in the same universe, and occasionally have overlapping characters, these books can be read and enjoyed in any order.

Purchase:
AMAZON


Review:
4.5 stars

I was asked for an honest review free of persuasion from the author or anyone else affiliated with this book.

It is a different take on Alice in Wonderland.  You first get to meet the lovely Alice.  A young tween looking to be a pirate.  She enjoys everything about being pirate so when a ship looking like White Rabbit comes near her house, she decides to make it her own.  It is pirate law after all.  She believes she is becoming a space pirate when she lands on the planet Wonderland.  Everything is mad.  There is a beheading queen, a caterpillar, a mad hatter, and a Jabberwock.  

I have always been a fan of Alice in Wonderland retelling.  It followed the story of Alice pretty closely in it's own way.  All the major players were there. This one did not disappoint.  I loved the setting of Nedra which is similar to Earth.  I loved of Wonderland.  I liked the author's unique twist of making it unsavory planet covered in neon.  It was easy to picture.  My favorite character was Alice of course.  She won my heart when said "I'm called, Give-me-my-money".  I think I may have liked this Alice better because she wasn't as whiny as the original.  She was fun, full of adventure and self aware.  My second favorite character Lyla. She was a big personality in small body.  I just adored her.  I thought she was fun and brave.  It was hard to say but all the characters really grow on you.  I even liked the Queen.  Overall this was fast paced retelling of classic tale.  I would recommend it to all Alice fans out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment